Remains at Forest City

Kevin B.

EU Contributor
I don't remember where I heard about them, but I was under the impression there was a bit of foundation of a lumber mill left on the bank of American Fork Creek just downstream of Shafer Fork. I took a brief look this weekend and didn't see anything, did I not look hard enough? In the wrong spot?

cruiseroutfit

Moderator & Supporting Member
Supporter
There was never a lumber mill @ Forest City, at least not one sizeable enough to have much history. There are foundations of the charcoal kilns and several houses.

As part of our ExpUt 2015 prelim scoping meeting we discussed NPLD plans for 2015. Obviously we would still like to get the cemetery fence painted but one idea I think has some legs is working with the FS to develop an interpretive kiosk at the site of the old ore smelter with a bit of info about the site and canyon in general.

cruiseroutfit

Supporter
I didn't know about the kilns. Are those near the smelter?

If you have driven to Forest Lake, you drive withing 4 feet of them. They are right at the flat at the top of the first climb after the river crossing. GPS: 40.523421, -111.608067

FC_Charcoal_Kilns_1.jpg

FC_Charcoal_Kilns_2.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Supporter
For sure, there are actually remnants of 15 kilns. The entire reason the Forest Lake (Reservoir) trail is in existence was to source timber for the kilns which was then turned into charcoal and used in the smelting process at the nearby Sultana Smelter.

Here is an excerpt on Forest City from an interview I did several years ago:

"Forest City

Forest City was the natural convergence of the various mining areas. With mines gaining in activity canyon wide, a supply center was a must and Forest City was born. The town site was situated near the mouth of Mary Ellen Gulch along the North Fork of the American Fork River. In 1871 the Miller Mining Company built the Sultana Smelter at Forest City, greatly increasing the need for manpower and supplies at the growing city. With the smelter came the need for charcoal and thus the Miller company built several dozen charcoal kilns, 15 at the Forest City site and the remaining kilns at Deer Creek City (now the site of Tibble Fork Reservoir). These mining companies had originally planned to bring the railroad up to Forest City, the canyons steep topography and tough winters made construction difficult and the railroad never made it past Deer Creek City. Rather than transport travelers by rail, the city was served by a stage which ran from the rail terminus at Deer Creek to Forest City. Ore from the nearby mines was transported by wagons in the summer months and skids over the snow in the winter months. In later years a tram was added from the Mary Ellen Mine to a load out tipple at Deer Creek.

As the mines ramped up, so did the activity and population of Forest City. Sawmills, saloons, a billiard hall, hotels, butchers shop, boarding houses, private residences, mine offices, smelter, a school building and even a bowling alley soon adorned the hillside. The Miller's smelter run ran until approximately 1875, the high elevation and long winters proved too difficult for the smelting process and the equipment was transported out of the canyon for use in another smelter. Forest City saw activity starting in 1871 and ending in the late 1890's however the majority of the town left when the mines saw a slow period in the 1880 time frame. At its peak the town had a population of 300-500, its fair to say that number may have included miners who frequented the towns hotels and saloons between shifts in the mine. All that remains of Forest City presently are the slag piles left over from the smelting process of the Sultana Smelter, foundations from the smelters kilns, some building foundations hidden in the trees and the nearby Forest City Cemetery aka Graveyard Flats."

Copyright - Kurt Williams 2010

Back