Ghost Rail: The Sandy-Alta Railroad Line

cruiseroutfit

Moderator & Supporting Member
Supporter
This line has caught my attention for quite some time, a total cross-section of my love of mining, my love of history in the Cottonwoods, my love of Sandy history (where I've lived most of my life) and the rail line ran very close (~400 ft) from my home (90th South, 1300 East)

1890 Map showing the railroad route:
1703474149525.png

(Link to map here: https://expeditionutah.com/forum/index.php?threads/1890-map-of-salt-lake-county.8011/)

1895 Map of the Rail Line:
1703475041564.png

(Source: https://maps.lib.utexas.edu/maps/topo/utah/txu-pclmaps-topo-ut-salt_lake-1895.jpg)

1928 Map showing it as the Denver and Rio Grand Western:
1703478304232.png

(Source: https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/ht-bin/tv_browse.pl?id=cae377455861c09722cab75a06488952)

Overall information on the railroad route here:

Wasatch and Jordan Railroad (1872-1882) info here:

D&RGW (1882-1913)

Salt Lake Alta Railway (1913-1917) info here:

Little Cottonwood Transportation Company (1916-1922) & Alta Scenic Railway (1925) info:

The locomotives:

Estimated Route of the Railroad:
1703474317759.png

(Source: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=15mzfB0zg6yBDlWyVbP1ibHGAiQo )

One area I would love to do some metal-detecting is Quail Hollow Park in East Sandy. I've been there dozens of times as we walk our dogs there often. It's one of the only places along the line that is relatively undeveloped. Could I find an old railroad spike?

1703474644273.png

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporter
A 1930's railroad map. I'm working on getting an original copy/source. The road coordinates are super interesting on this one as they are waaaaaaay off. Now Sandy had their own coordinate & 'downtown' but these are different yet.

Everything is 10 blocks off, i.e. 9400 South (actual) is shown as "10400 South". Regardless, it has a good outline of the railroad route.

FB_IMG_1703495616851.jpg

jeffsclan

That’s really cool. I haven’t been able to find the location of the train station in Sandy. Do you know where it was?

cruiseroutfit

Supporter
That’s really cool. I haven’t been able to find the location of the train station in Sandy. Do you know where it was?

Not yet, I think it was at the junction with the main line but that is ambiguous as that main line location is shown in different spots depending on the map.

cruiseroutfit

Supporter
I was buzzing home from work just now and decided I'd stop by and look for the memorial by the old city hall. Sure enough it's there, approx. 450 East.

20240102_211111.jpg

Better detail:

20240102_211118.jpg

The monument sure seems to indicate a station was built right there. I had always assumed it was much further east.

And do trains have 'breaks' instead of 'brakes'? :D

The other neat part about this site was the section of rail and the ore cart they have on display. It can't be seen due to tree cover via Google Earth so this was a fun surprise.

20240102_211234.jpg

I'm curious what the back story are on the rail or the cart. Original to the line or mines in Little Cottonwood Canyon?

Jeeper

I was buzzing home from work just now and decided I'd stop by and look for the memorial by the old city hall. Sure enough it's there, approx. 450 East.

View attachment 17667

Better detail:

View attachment 17668

The monument sure seems to indicate a station was built right there. I had always assumed it was much further east.

And do trains have 'breaks' instead of 'brakes'? :D

The other neat part about this site was the section of rail and the ore cart they have on display. It can't be seen due to tree cover via Google Earth so this was a fun surprise.

View attachment 17669

I'm curious what the back story are on the rail or the cart. Original to the line or mines in Little Cottonwood Canyon?

I can see it on google, looks to be exactly in line with the walkway/trees/cy's rd... which is where the rail ran, yeah? Possible to be actual line?

cruiseroutfit

Supporter
I can see it on google, looks to be exactly in line with the walkway/trees/cy's rd... which is where the rail ran, yeah? Possible to be actual line?

You see it on Google? I should look at GoogleEarth, perhaps their different images show it through the trees. The current GoogleMaps has it covered by trees.

Screenshot_20240104_214221_Maps.jpg

I highly doubt it's the actual line. There is evidence of it being there in the older aerial photography.

Back