Camp Floyd, a Cave, and a Tunnel

M

MicahMan

Unregistered Guest
Saturday night the 1st of March 2014 I received a last second invite to go camping. My wife was kind enough to oblige and I threw my gear in the old 40 and I was ready.

Kurt Williams and Stephen Nielson were in charge of destination so we threw around ideas. Meeting at the Chevron in Saratoga Springs our loose plan was formulated. My only requirement was that it be someplace new to me. I am still exploring the West Desert so new isn't a strict requirement.

We headed west with a plan to take "Government Road" This had us stop by the Camp Floyd Cemetary. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Floyd_/_Stagecoach_Inn_State_Park_and_Museum

A very fun and interesting place to see as all the graves were listed as "Unknown", but there were a few that had more information on how they came to be in the cemetery.
CFCemetary_zps42a9fea6.jpg

Here are my favorites:
"Murdered", "Found Dead", "Self-Inflicted Gunshot Wound" this appeared numerous times, "Diabetes", "Typhoid".

The memorial was erected by the American Legion. My grandfather is a member and I'm trying to find more information or a point of contact that would allow us there for a camp. The grounds were beautiful.

We then moved a few more miles to a mine shaft/cave that Kurt had used for Rappel training. I drove right past it as the opening does hide itself very well. We scared a few bats and pigeons throwing rocks and hearing them land almost 100 feet below. It was just high enough it made me nervous jumping over the openings.

By this time the sun was waning and we were looking for a good place to camp. The Eureka Rail System has a tunnel that is no longer used. In fact the rails and wood have long since been reclaimed.
20140301_192549_zpse5b2bcae.jpg

This is Stephen pointing his lights at the cave.

IMG_17574562308639_zpscb1d3846.jpeg

This is Kurt Blinding us with his lights.

Kurt brought Jake Chatwin along so there were four of us to BS around the fire. Pie irons were brought out and there was plenty of food and stories. Great time as we actually camped inside the tunnel with our fire lighting the walls.

We had a slow start Monday morning as we had no real schedule. Beautiful day with sun shining made our three happy to be on the trail.

A short pit stop at the BYU fire bomb mine shaft. Recent construction looks to be closing this off. Kurt almost threw his phone down the shaft as well.

Getting on HWY 6 it was a couple miles south and west to Eureka. I believe the old town might have been called Knighton, but I'm sure Stephen or Kurt will correct.

Interesting little town with not much there. You see tailings and the tell tell signs of people, but the coolest item was the School House foundation.

I then took off to head home and catch up with my family, but it was an amazing time and I so enjoyed being out in the hills.

Sometimes you have to do as Jeff Bridges does in Tron. "Knock on the sky, and listen to the sound"

Micah Platt

Attachments

• CF Cemetary.jpg
    CF Cemetary.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 2,053

cruiseroutfit

Moderator & Supporting Member
Supporter
Thanks for sharing Micah. The town west of Eureka is Knightsville.

After you departed we scooted down to the Goshen Valley to try and find 3-4 ghost towns that have been on my hitlist for many years. We were defeated as every one was on private property and well marked. We were able to get within a stones throw of two (Sandtown and Sodom) but the other two (Lower Goshen and Mechanicsville) were elusive this time. I need to try and track down the property owner and get something going for private access, at least long enough to document the site for our Utah Ghost Town Project. All in all it was well worth the time and a much needed escape from the office on a busy week. I had originally planned to be in Death Valley through today but it just wasn't happening with a super busy work schedule so this did the trick for my soul. :D

A few of my pics, the others will end up in the ghost town reports on those sites.

IMG_5394 (Small).JPG
Storms a comin'

IMG_5419 (Small).JPG
Looking down Pinyon Canyon

IMG_5425 (Small).JPG
Knightsville

cruiseroutfit

Supporter
That is the Tintic Branch RR tunnel #1 (of 4). It is located just north of the mouth of Pinyon Canyon: 39.998912, -112.026340

DrMoab

Is this tunnel closed at one end? Looking at it through Google earth. Doesn't look like its open on the south end.

Stephen

Quick -n- Dirty

Saturday evening Micah, Kurt, Jakester and I met up at the Chevron in Lehi/Saratoga Springs/Wherever Sprawlburbia with the intention to blast out along the PET for the evening. After talking Micah out of buying some Swisher Sweets, we headed out into the light rain and made our way west.

Once we reached Cedar Fort, we decided over the CB that the weather out west wasn't looking of hot, so we made a quick turn down one of those many straight as an arrow ranch roads that shoot south. Right off of the road was the Camp Floyd Cemetery and we decided to take a minute to look around.

12960929934_de08117aba_b.jpg

The plaque at the entrance gave a little info about the cemetery and evidence about it's use for target practice at some point. The area cordoned off for the cemetery was quite large, but some group, perhaps BYU, had taken time relatively recently to find the actual graves.

12960644293_9255d0f9b6_b.jpg

From the looks of it, the bodies were buried rather hap hazardly. Every headstone was quite new and marked "Unknown". At the gate there was an information sign that told who was buried there and how they died, but not which grave was who's.

From there we continued south along the ranch road until we reached Allen's Ranch. There Kurt wanted to head up to a place called Pink Sandstone Caves. A cave network where he had done rappelling training. The road up the the caves was steep and loose rock requiring a little 4-Low crawling.

12960925414_5d8480c37f_b.jpg

But it was nothing for these Expo rated rigs!

12960923294_2feb0a1b55_b.jpg

Micah was hanging on Kurt's every word!

After the caves we made our way into the mountains north of Eureka in the waning light to find a camp spot. Initially we were just going to find a nice wooded area and set up, but Kurt's encyclopedic knowledge of generally useless mining and railroad history (unlike my completely useful knowledge of post war US-Soviet foreign relations) proved fortuitous in leading us to an abandoned railway tunnel that was perfect for setting up camp in.

12960638433_62a071bb49_b.jpg

After allaying Jakester's fears of ghost trains, we entered the tunnel and proceeded to build a comfortable fire for some delicious pie iron dinners and sat around enjoying some beer and stories. Just what was needed to after a stressful work week.

The next morning we rolled out of bed, made some breaky and sat around the fire for a bit longer and then ventured out into word once more.

12960921334_c7a8d07c8f_b.jpg

It was a beautiful Sunday morning as we followed the old Tintic Railroad grade towards Eureka. We made a few stops along the way, most notably at an abandoned mine shaft that Kurt decided to jump around on the rebar covering it, almost dropping his phone (which would make number 236 lost or destroyed).

Once we hit Highway 6 we worked our way towards Eureka, but decided to detour up towards the old Knightville townsite.

12960635603_fb020dc17c_b.jpg

Not much left but the foundation of the school and a view of the tailings. But it was fun to poke around for a bit and find shards of plates, bottles and tin can's around.

12960916744_f284931ebd_b.jpg

After taking copious amounts of photo's of our vehicles, such as this future promo shot for Cruiser Outfitters, we voted Micah off the island and headed into Eureka to check out a little gun shop there called Brad's Guns. It was a well stocked shop (though no .22lr) with a friendly proprietor who tolerated our windows shopping for a bit.

From there, Kurt, Jakester and I did some ghost towing looking for Sandtown and Lower Goshen. Unfortunately, all our efforts led to closed gates and No Trespassing sign's. No mind, it was a good time anyway. In the process of this, though, we crossed through the intersection in Elberta with the oft-photographed Sinclair station. So we decided to play tourist and take some happy snaps.

12960914784_7562dbc823_b.jpg

12960480375_6086b6acd0_b.jpg

12960626493_de0a494745_b.jpg

After blocking the front of the building for awhile with our impromptu photo shoot, we headed into Santaquin for some quick grub at the Family Tree, a local greasy spoon serving up some fine cuisine. Thus ended an enjoyable, quick -n- dirty trip with some good friends.

cruiseroutfit

Supporter
More on the Tintic Branch RR by buddy Robert Cranney:

Tintic_RR_1.jpg

Tunnel #1
Spent some time on Google Earth tracking the area. This is a snap shot of the most commonly known and best preserved tunnel in the complex. We'll call it Tunnel #1. I really like this tunnel because it's ease of access and a great way to get people excited about the history of the area. To stand in the tunnel, look up at the black soot on the ceiling, and imagine a steam locomotive mightily working it's way to Eureka.

Tintic_RR_2.jpg

Tunnel #2
I've only been to this tunnel once. When we first approached the site I actually thought we were in a mine. Lots of break down, walls collapsing, but still very interesting to see. As we ventured our way along, the collapse got worse and worse until you're crawling on your stomach. Now while we're doing this, I kept wondering why there was black soot on the ceiling of this mine? And then it hit me, we're in an old train tunnel. And that's when we realized how dangerous this really was. The entire tunnel is gone. Hesitantly we did finally push to the other side. When you pop out you are at the top of the tunnel looking down (we entered from the left, excited to the right). I'm not sure if it's still open, but I don't recommend entering.

Tintic_RR_3.jpg

Tunnel #3 - Maybe?
I spent some time tracking the rail line and came across two possible collapsed tunnels. But with out seeing it in person I'm not sure. So this is a guess.

Tintic_RR_4.jpg

Tunnel #4 - Maybe?
I'm hesitant to post this is as a possible tunnel, I think it's too close to the canyon edge. But possible. Need to go and see it first hand.

cruiseroutfit

Supporter
There are a couple of books with some great info on the rail:
Utah Ghost Rails - Stephen L. Carr & Robert W. Edwards
Faith, Hope and Prosperity: The Tintic Mining District - Philip F. Notarianni

Old Jeeper

EU Contributor
I went looking for those 3 tunnels years ago (30 if not more). As I recall the second ones ends had been blasted closed and the third one had collapsed through out it's entire length. It probably had some explosive help. I dont remember a fourth one.
I've been wanting to make a dual sport ride down that way. Maybe I'll get to it this year.

Back