Relic Run 2020...”The Hindsight Tour” - CANCELLED :(

dane795

I finally finished putting my CJ5 back together but it's unbelievably slow, turns out I have 85-100 PSI in the cylinders when the factory manual calls for 150 :/ I thought this would be the year but it will have to be next time. I'm excited for the pictures and videos though!

2wheelbob

Supporting Member
Supporter
OSC Alumni
I hope everyone had a great 4th of July holiday weekend and was able to get out and enjoy the great outdoors! I spent the weekend with 2can and his family and we are getting excited for the RR (which is a month away)! I just wanted to give you all a quick update...we are still planning on getting together for the trip. Dave just opened registration to the general public so hopefully we get a few more signups. Next week, I will be putting out a signup sheet for Friday night’s pot luck dinner. In the past, we have had some minor issues with our planning. It seems we either have too many entrees or too much dessert ( if there even is such a thing). So this year, in an effort to even things out, we will be asking folks to signup for one option for Friday. Once I getter a better head count, we will decide on how many entrees, sides, and desserts we need and I will open it up for people to choose one. Hopefully, this will make it easier for planning. Also, we are watching the COVID-19 updates and are keeping our fingers crossed (as well as wearing our masks, washing our hands, and practicing social distancing) and hoping that everyone else is doing their part. As long as the states can manage the increasing numbers, we will go as planned.
On a positive note...Dirtstar1 is working on something extra special for this years trip. As soon as I know more, I’ll share it with you all.
Stay safe and healthy everyone. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to message me.
See you all in a month!

BHillteq

I hope everyone had a great 4th of July holiday weekend and was able to get out and enjoy the great outdoors! I spent the weekend with 2can and his family and we are getting excited for the RR (which is a month away)! I just wanted to give you all a quick update...we are still planning on getting together for the trip. Dave just opened registration to the general public so hopefully we get a few more signups. Next week, I will be putting out a signup sheet for Friday night’s pot luck dinner. In the past, we have had some minor issues with our planning. It seems we either have too many entrees or too much dessert ( if there even is such a thing). So this year, in an effort to even things out, we will be asking folks to signup for one option for Friday. Once I getter a better head count, we will decide on how many entrees, sides, and desserts we need and I will open it up for people to choose one. Hopefully, this will make it easier for planning. Also, we are watching the COVID-19 updates and are keeping our fingers crossed (as well as wearing our masks, washing our hands, and practicing social distancing) and hoping that everyone else is doing their part. As long as the states can manage the increasing numbers, we will go as planned.
On a positive note...Dirtstar1 is working on something extra special for this years trip. As soon as I know more, I’ll share it with you all.
Stay safe and healthy everyone. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to message me.
See you all in a month!
Callin dibs on a side, my wife makes a suuuper good Mac N Cheese in a cast iron on the Coleman. :cool:

moab_cj5

Administrator
Staff member
Supporter
From Bob, the trail leader:

Attention Relic Runners!!

This message isn't easy for to me write so bear with me…

It is with great disappointment that we must announce that the Relic Run for 2020 is cancelled. Myself and the other planners have been closely monitoring the Covid pandemic for the last few months in hopes that it would be on the decline and that we could proceed with the Relic Run as usual. Unfortunately, we have seen a marked increase in virus transmissions and a rise in cases throughout the Utah/Wyoming/Colorado area. We felt it wouldn't be the wisest decision for folks to travel from all those areas and then spend a weekend together sharing food, playing games, and socializing around the campfire. The Relic Run is a special event that is unlike most 4WD trips. While we do enjoy the trail rides and showing off our vintage trucks and equipment, what really sets the Relic Run apart from all the other off-road events is the social aspects. We spend time each day sharing food (whether it be the hor's d'oeuvres on Thursday, the pot luck dinner on Friday or the sponsored meal on Saturday night), playing games with each other (the annual BB gun shoot, the new-for-this-year Slingshot competion, or the other games we had planned) and the general getting to know each other and forming new friendships (or rekindling old ones) around the campfire and movie screen. Those aforementioned aspects all involve close contact with people that is unavoidable. In an effort to still hold the event while maintaining social distancing, I gave a lot of thought to canceling just those parts of the trip but quickly realized that the Relic Run would lose all of it's best attributes and evolve into just another 4wd trip.

After speaking with the folks at Expedition Utah and the other planners throughout this past week, we have come to the decision to postpone the trip for 2020 and focus our planning efforts into the 2021 trip. We hope to have a better event with some new twists and hopefully some sweet prizes to give away as well. I want to say a sincere 'Thank You' to those who had faith and signed up for the Relic Run this year. Everyone who signed up for this years run will get a top secret invite to next years event before the trip is made public.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions or concerns.

Respectfully,

Bob D. and the RR2020 planning team

While I’m super bummed. I bought a 60 series partially to participate in this event. I completely understand the why. Covid 19 will have many causalities before it’s done whether that is human life, careers, and events. I’ve got to hope with the sacrifices that we are making that we are doing our part to end this crazy pandemic.

Tyler80

UNFORTUNATELY Relic Run 2020 has been CANCELLED due to concerns about COVID-19

Good Morning Campers! This is the official kick-off thread for this year’s Relic Run trip. We have completed the pre-run and believe we have a fun experience laid out for you. Below, you’ll find a quick synopsis of the run. Keeping with the alternating year format, this run will be a ‘rolling’ one, which means we will be setting up camp each night and breaking it down each morning. We have learned from past years and will keep the overall “time behind the wheel” to a reasonable one to allow for camp set up/take down at a leisurely pace. We hope this will maximize the time “around the campfire”. The trip will start in Rock Springs, Wyoming and head south. It will end with the option to go back to Rock Springs or to head south to the Unitas and Vernal, Utah. We will experience a variety of terrain from smooth beaches, to high alpine terrain, to juniper forests reminiscent of the Moab area. Most of the driving will be on easy gravel/graded roads however Saturday will add a little challenging driving with a chance to lock your hubs and get your rig dirty ( and possibly scratched). The trail we picked is tight in spots as it crosses some dry washes that can be a bit twisty once in them. It will be especially challenging for those of us with full-size rigs or towing a trailer. I will be bringing my ‘73 F250 and plan to use a spotter in places if that eases anyone’s fears. The rest of the trip will follow the usual RR format of a Thursday night 70’s themed hors doeuvers filled meet and greet, a Friday night pot luck, and Saturday dinner suppplied by ExUt. We will of course have the BB gun shoot, hopefully a movie night, and a few other ‘surprises’. Remember, your rig has to be built in 1989 or older. We ask that you leave all the new technology home and try to immerse yourself in a time gone by. We will cap the vehicle limit at 20 rigs this year. Feel free to post up any questions or concerns you might have. You can also pm me. I think over the next few weeks we will get the signups going and also pass out a more detailed list of what to expect.

As for Covid-19 concerns...we ask that if you are sick or feeling ill, please stay home. We will promote social distancing as best as we can along with mask usage, hand washing and proper hygiene. We are all adults and believe in taking personal responsibility with regards to health. With all that being said, we do reserve the right to cancel/postpone the event if conditions warrant.
Hope you are all like me and ready to see old friends, meet new ones, and enjoy the finest in vintage off-roading!
This is such a bummer! I really hope to be able to participate in this one next year.

Back