• The upgrade is complete. Please notify of any problems

Looking for Trip Suggestions.

brpbobcat

This is my first post and I am glad I found this site. My name is Brian and my travel companion is Bayla, the crazy 1/2 chocolate lab (that is us at Homestake GC in Death Valley).

I am from Minneapolis, MN and I am, hopefully, going to be driving to SLC around June 5th. I don't need to arrive in SLC until about the 11th. That gives me roughly four days to explore Utah.

I was in Moab last year, so I was thinking of hitting up the Wasatch area, NE Utah.

I am looking for solitude, beauty, primitive/dispersed camping, and a huge bonuses are rock art and hot springs.

I saw some info about the Skyline Trail, that looked really neat. I thought it could be open early because of the generally low snow winter. Any input there? Anything along those lines would be really cool, just get up among the mountains and plateaus and have a great time.

I have a stock 4x4 Tacoma and an All-Terrain Campers Bobcat, I can handle moderate type stuff.

If you can help me to a memorable trip I would really appreciate it.

I hope it is not blasphemy on this board, but souther Idaho suggestions are welcome too.

Thanks again for the great forum.

Attachments

lordhelmet

Supporting Member
Supporter
City of Rocks just over the Idaho border is a neat place to visit. No wheeling there, but some neat hiking and historical areas. It is also along the California immigrant trail.

cruiseroutfit

Moderator & Supporting Member
Supporter
Welcome to the forum... I'm packing to head out of town but let me toss some ideas at you to research here on the forum:

Skyline is iffy that early, undoubtedly this year is a pretty low snow year but the upper trails can still be snowblocked into July so early June might not work? Its already getting pretty hot out in the West Desert but if the heat doesn't bother you, check out the Transcontinental Railroad & Pony Express Trail. Combine the two and you have a legit 4 days worth of off-road travel with Wendover in the middle for fuel and supplies.

You might find some other ideas here:
http://www.expeditionutah.com/featured-trails/

Happy Jack

I have run into and on parts of the Mormon Handcart trail in the past but have never just followed it. I was going to do it this year but had a problem with my good foot and not been able to get out. Below are links o some info on it.

http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/adventures/midwest/0903_4wd_the_mormon_handcart_trail/index.html

http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/adventures/rockies/0904_4wd_the_mormon_handcart_trail/index.html

http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/adventures/rockies/0905_4wd_the_mormon_handcart_trail/index.html

The Browns Park (Browns Hole) area is kind of interesting if you like the outlaw stuff. I have attached a map of where I have been in that area.

South Pass City is kinda nice too. Part of the Handcart Trail runs through that area. Part of it is on the other map I attached.

As far as Rock art goes you could do 9 Mile from Vernal. Sago is the only other one I can think of but it is farther south just north of I 70.

Attachments

brpbobcat

Hi guys, thanks for the suggestions. I am really trying to find out if the Skyline is/could be open in the next two weeks. So many choices.

Houndoc

Supporting Member
Supporter
I agree with Browns Park.

In that same area is the Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area. Sheep Creek Canyon is spectacular.

West desert areas- Skull Valley, Simpson Springs etc, certainly very different from your home!

flyjester

Supporting Member
Supporter
Not a lot of rock art or hot springs, but the Uinta's are pretty much open and good to go. You can find some great solitude up there. Be mindful the weather can change by the minute up there so be prepared. I went this past weekend up Murdock Basin and only came across a handful of people.

cruiseroutfit

Moderator & Supporting Member
Supporter
Hi guys, thanks for the suggestions. I am really trying to find out if the Skyline is/could be open in the next two weeks. So many choices.
Best bet is going to be calling the Forest Service office for that area. It could be open tomorrow or it could snow the next... The FS will have the latest. Post up when you hear back.