Supporter
Site: Russian Settlement
Alternate Names: Pryguny and Molokane
County, State: Box Elder, Utah
Years of Occupation: 1914-1918
Status of Site: Open
Classification: Class 1 - Barron Town Site
Type: Agriculture/Ranching
Remnants: Very little remains. There is a 2 grave cemetery in the area.
GPS Coordinate: 41.71693, -113.35060
NRHP Reference#: N/A
Date of Last Visit:

Site Historty
"Invest Dimes and Reap Dollars in Park Valley, Utah" - Pacific Land & Water Co.

In the early 1900's, duped by false advertising and promises of riches, a few Russian immigrants living in the Los Angeles area relocated south of Park Valley Utah to establish a Utopia where they could practice their religion, and raise their families and crops.

For a detailed description of the history, please visit this link:
http://www.molokane.org/places/USA/Utah/2003_Bowen.html

Further Reading:
http://www.molokane.org/places/USA/Utah/2003_Bowen.html
http://www.molokane.org/places/USA/Utah/
http://utahhistory.sdlhost.com/#/item/000000011019411/view/13
https://www.utahhumanities.org/stories/items/show/280
https://heritage.utah.gov/history/uhq-sum-2015-marshall-bowen-on-russian-molokans
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Settlement,_Utah

Directions to Get There:
From Park Valley, head south on Board Ranch Road approx 10 miles, then head West toward Russian Knoll.

Pictures from visit 11/30/2018

2 Grave Cemetery
20181130_121637.jpg

20181130_121158.jpg

20181130_121308.jpg

20181130_121507.jpg

Looking toward the old town site from the cemetery with Russian Knoll in the background
20181130_122213.jpg

Building site with debris in the hole
20181130_123310.jpg

20181130_123326.jpg

20181130_123610.jpg

View of the area from the top of Russian Knoll:
20181130_124204.jpg

20181130_124228.jpg

Last edited:

99discovery

Sightseer
Thank you for posting this! While I started getting deep into my major at college I was living with my grandparents. My Grandpa was researching the Russian Settlement and wanted to go out and see it. We talked about it, but school got in the way.

Once I graduated his health rapidly declined and he was in no condition to travel. I always regretted it, especially when I was gifted, after his passing, his 1st generation Garmin touchscreen nav unit (which resides in my Disco and the topo and info displayed is better than most current GPS units). When I fired it up, the Russian Graves were already programmed into his GPS unit (he was always keeping up on tech), but he (we) never made it out to the settlement.

I've always wanted to go back as a final memorial to him, but I wanted to do some history and research first to do the trip justice. Now you've provided me with that. Thanks Moab_CJ5.

moab_cj5

Administrator
Staff member
Supporter
Thank you for posting this! While I started getting deep into my major at college I was living with my grandparents. My Grandpa was researching the Russian Settlement and wanted to go out and see it. We talked about it, but school got in the way.

Once I graduated his health rapidly declined and he was in no condition to travel. I always regretted it, especially when I was gifted, after his passing, his 1st generation Garmin touchscreen nav unit (which resides in my Disco and the topo and info displayed is better than most current GPS units). When I fired it up, the Russian Graves were already programmed into his GPS unit (he was always keeping up on tech), but he (we) never made it out to the settlement.

I've always wanted to go back as a final memorial to him, but I wanted to do some history and research first to do the trip justice. Now you've provided me with that. Thanks Moab_CJ5.
Cool story! Glad I could help with this. There is some cool info on those links posted above!

99discovery

Sightseer
Yeah, I remember when I was 15 my mom came to me and said "Grandpa really wants to take you into the west desert for a couple of days. He's asked a few times. Do you think you can go with him once?"

I was like, "Heck yeah!"

I showed up at my home at 5am and he drove us to Topps City Cafe in Delta, we ate breakfast and headed out all the way to Gold Hilll, him telling stories about his prospecting and stories about WW2 the entire way. It was awesome.

We came home, he slept at my house (which was out of character for him) we got up at 5 the next day and headed West again, this time the Pony Express route.

We may have gone one more time and hit Sinbad and a few other spots, it has been so long ago I've forgotten.

Then a week or so later he asked if I could come up to his house in American Fork. Same thing, got up at 5, ate at a Cafe and Lehi, and this time took the old highway all the way to Wendover. We talked about the airfield, but never made it there. I don't know why, I don't think it was restored/refurbished at the time or visitors could go there.

Then we went down the Drum mountains to the south and essentially connected the West Desert in Millard County with the West Desert in SL County, visiting his old claims and trying to steer clear of the Dugway Proving Grounds.

I've been "Jeeping" on technical trails in Moab since I was 12, but this was my first real taste of "overlanding" even though we never camped. A bone stock F-150, easy trails, but lots of rich history and time with family. I LOVED it and treasured every moment. My only regret is he wouldn't let me tape the conversations, and I respected that. In hindsight, I should have lied and taped them anyway. Now half of those stories are forgotten. :(.

My grandpa always wanted to do the Lincoln Highway, joined the club even and went on a few "runs". I was back in Pennsylvania on the east end of the Lincoln highway and thought of that time. That was where I got some info on No Nose Maggie and the town of Joy was the Lincoln Highway magazine.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble, but those were awesome memories. I wished we could have gone to the graves together in one last hurrah.

Instead, I'll have to take my kids and share the stories with them.

Hello all, new member here. Decided to take a drive out to check out the Russian settlement and grave and I’m currently stuck in the mud at the coordinates listed above. Is there anyone in the region willing to assist with helping to pull us out or help get me in contact with anyone willing to venture out this far? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

moab_cj5

Administrator
Staff member
Supporter
Hello all, new member here. Decided to take a drive out to check out the Russian settlement and grave and I’m currently stuck in the mud at the coordinates listed above. Is there anyone in the region willing to assist with helping to pull us out or help get me in contact with anyone willing to venture out this far? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Are you still out there? Do you have a phone number for quicker communication? I would be 6 hours away myself, but there is a group called Utah off-road recovery on Facebook. if you post there you'll get a quick response.

Are you still out there? Do you have a phone number for quicker communication? I would be 6 hours away myself, but there is a group called Utah off-road recovery on Facebook. if you post there you'll get a quick response.
Hey thanks for the response. We were able to run down to the main road and caught a couple of cowboys that were able to come and help us out of our situation. Appreciate the reply.

T

TheRealAleku

Unregistered Guest
I am currently researching this and I know of the location of the two graves but I hear there are also remnants of the foundations of some of the buildings, does anyone have the coordinates to these?

99discovery

Sightseer
I am currently researching this and I know of the location of the two graves but I hear there are also remnants of the foundations of some of the buildings, does anyone have the coordinates to these?

I should have the settlement coords in my Grandpa's old GPS. I'll have to dig it up and see if they are still there. I need to make it out there.

Back