Ghost Town: Green River Missile Base

Matt

Thanks for all the hard work researching this Kurt. It's interesting how much of this footprint is invisible to the random visitor to Green River.

cruiseroutfit

Moderator & Supporting Member
Supporter
Thanks for all the hard work researching this Kurt. It's interesting how much of this footprint is invisible to the random visitor to Green River.

My pleasure, it was fun to dig through and I look forward to adding to the content as time allows.

beno

EU Supporting Member
Solid work on this and thanks for mentioning it.

It was way cool stopping by on my way back to Nederland.

:cheers:

flyjester

EU Contributor
OSC Alumni
It's wide open as of my last visit in May of this year, in fact fences have been removed in some areas.

I was through there in October and everything was wide open. That's what was different, the missing fences!

*Great write up Kurt!! I want to go back and check out some of the stuff I missed on my previous trips there.

While exploring the area in october someone had set up camp on the old cement pads for the housing. I wonder if they knew what those pads were used for.

cruiseroutfit

Supporter
Before & after

IMG_3442.JPG
IMG_3441.JPG

cruiseroutfit

Supporter
A treasure has arrived :cool:

A very kind Kris A. from Ontario, California reached out to me following the Green River Missile Base site report being shared on Facebook. Her father surveyed the site in the early days and left these maps dated 1972. This is a huge find for out ghost town project, armed with these maps we should be able to identify all of the sites buildings and hopefully do another site visit soon to photograph them in their current state.

GRMB_3 (Small).jpg

GRMB_1 (Small).jpg

GRMB_2 (Small).jpg

GRMB_4 (Small).jpg
Check out the camper area, bachelor and family designations

GRMB_5 (Small).jpg
Interesting where they showed the future I-70, it in fact went south the the buildings not north

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporter
Yep, now we need to go back and visit again. :cool:

For sure, maybe a summer-time activity when we have enough time to network with the gal at the JWP Museum. I'd like to bring these maps along and see if they have ever seen them. My guess is they were a common site map at the time but it has helped answer a bunch of questions.

gahi

I had a chance to go visit the site today. Awesome!

Best part.... we had a friend/neighbor with us who worked there when the site was active. It was really cool to hear how the operations went.

cruiseroutfit

Supporter

Best part.... we had a friend/neighbor with us who worked there when the site was active. It was really cool to hear how the operations went.

Very cool

Anything fun you can share with us about his stories?

ScoutnUSA

Supporting Member
Supporter

Now that would add an entirely different level to the experience making it feel more personal.

Darrell

ScoutnUSA

Supporting Member
Supporter
Being that it is an ex-military base is there camping allowed? I am thinking I may want to overnight there on my way west and check it out since the last time I was there it was closed off..
If so does anyone have a nice spot they could recommend (GPS coords)?

Darrell

cruiseroutfit

Supporter
Being that it is an ex-military base is there camping allowed? I am thinking I may want to overnight there on my way west and check it out since the last time I was there it was closed off..
If so does anyone have a nice spot they could recommend (GPS coords)?

Darrell

The nearby Crystal Geyser spot has a nice campsite for a few vehicles

ScoutnUSA

Supporting Member
Supporter
The nearby Crystal Geyser spot has a nice campsite for a few vehicles

Is there no camping allowed on the old base then?
The name Crystal Geyser sounds like it would be a popular place.
Looking on Google Earth it looks like there is someones house and a small orchard about 1.25 miles past eh geyser at the bend in the river. I did notice it is accessable from the base only (at least it seems so).

Darrell

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporter
I suppose you could camp at the base, I've never tried nor really thought too. There are a dozen sites so it would really depends on where you're thinking. The old housing are south of 70 for example would be a total non issue. I've camped at the Geyser a half dozen times now, visitors come to the geyser but we've been alone otherwise.

Back