Relic Run 2024 - Bighorn Relic Roundup!!

2wheelbob

Supporting Member
Supporter
OSC Alumni
Greetings and salutations campers!! This post is to announce that the date and location has been set for the annual Relic Run! We figured we’d post up early so everyone has enough time to get the old bomber ready for a road trip of epic proportions! This years trip will find us in the Bighorn Mountains of north central Wyoming. It will be a base camp style trip with two separate day long trail rides, each incorporating amazing scenery, a chance to ‘lock the hubs’ and most importantly, ice cream sammiches! Here are W,W,W,W, and the Y:

Who - Vehicles that were born on or before 1989
What - Camping in the Bighorn Mountains and two days worth of trail rides (mountain lakes to swim in, native American rock art, dinosaur foot prints, amazing views)There will also be a gear show and shine, pot luck dinner, possibly a movie…and I almost forgot, the World Famous Daisy Red Rider BB Gun shoot!!
Where - Camp will be located approximately 12 miles north of Hyattville, Wyoming at a private cabin (complete with endless well water and a flushie toilet for the ladies)!
When - Arrival at camp August 8th, depart for home August 11th
Y - Because we all enjoy getting out the old, fickle camping gear, getting into our clunky, old rust bucket trucks, going on long hot drives, and getting ice cream!!

There will be further info coming. In the meantime, if you have any questions, please ask away. The fine folks who admin this page will be handling the sign ups, money, etc. I’m just the head cat wrangler!

Hope to see everyone there!!

Attachments

• IMG_1673.jpeg
    IMG_1673.jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 55

Offroad FJ

Supporting Member
Supporter
Really hoping to make it this year. The Scout runs but she doesn't really stop....I guess as long as we don't go any faster than we want to hit, we're good? Seriously, brakes are a priority, replacing the square tires ( although, square tires help to keep the speed down), replacing the nearly nonexistent floorboards and a few other minor things and she'll be good to go. We won't be too worried about pinstriping, she's got a very rustic look right now.

Dirtstar1

Supporting Member
Supporter
For those of you that can't open the attachment on your mobile device, I C/P the info here. (Same as above)

Relic Run 2024Bighorn Relic Round-Up

Dates: August 8-11 (traditional Relic Run times from Thursday to Sunday morning)

Itinerary: This will be a ‘base camp’ style year

Thursday August 8th

4:30 pm - Meetup at the Conoco Gas Station in Basin Wyoming

5:00 pm – Depart for the Bighorn Mountain Camp site

6:30 pm – Arrive at camp/setup for the weekend

7:30 pm – Hors d’oeuvres to share at the campfire (70’s themed if possible, but no jello molds with hotdogs)

Friday August 9th

0850 am – Drivers Meeting

0900 am – Depart camp for trail ride up and through the Big Horns, culminating at the Medicine Lodge State Park (petroglyphs and local history and ICE CREAM!)

1600 pm – Arrive back at camp

1730 pm – pot luck dinner

1830 pm – Relic gear show and shine/BB gun Contest/New this year – Slingshot contest!!

1930 pm – Campfire activities (pie irons, marshmallows, stories)

Saturday August 10th

0850 am – Drivers Meeting

0900 am – Depart for the day’s activities (either another trail ride or, if it is too hot, a day at the local reservoir for swimming, fishing (Wyoming license will be required), canoeing, tubing, exploring) TBD the morning of

1600 pm – Arrive back at camp

1730 pm – ExUt Sponsored dinner

1900 pm – Movie night around the campfire

Sunday August 11th

Breakfast good-bye’s and depart for home!

Notes:

We will be camping at a private cabin site. There will be endless well water, free firewood and plenty of camping.

The cabin has a shower and normal toilet but the septic system wasn’t designed for 30+ people so I will also provide an outhouse like years past to limit human impact to the area.

Fuel will be our biggest concern as the nearest gas is in Basin, so if you have the ability to carry an extra 5 gallons, it would be highly recommended.

There is a small IGA market in Basin, Wyoming if folks wish to stock up on any last minute items before Thursdays departure.

The ice cream on Friday and (possibly Saturday if we opt for a drive) will be for sale at the state park and the store in Shell, Wyoming so bring some cash!

Dogs are welcome (our two will be the doggie ambassadors!)

There is a small fridge/freezer in the cabin if needed but coolers are preferred.

Camp trailers are welcome and if you are bringing one, I suggest leveling blocks as the terrain is rolling

Tent camping is also welcome. There will be a designated area that is free of prickly pear cactus and level. I believe it is an old Crow/Shoshoni native American hunting camp site, as there are plenty of chipped stones from arrowhead making.

The trail driving will be mostly forest service gravel roads with a few bumpy two tracks thrown in. We probably won’t need 4WD but will need high clearance in several sections so if you were planning to bring the Wagon Queen Family Truckster, you might want to reconsider.

The slingshot contest is new this year. There will be two categories, wooden framed and wrist rocket style with a brace. Ammo will be provided!!

In sticking with pre-1989 tradition, the main form of vehicle communications will be via CB radio!! I know, I know…the quality is scratchy and the range is limited, but hey, this is Relic Run and there is enough heads up to allow folks to get one installed and tuned. We are trying to return Relic Run to its core principles and this is an easy way to start.

Cost: $50 per vehicle with ExUt membership

$75 per vehicle without

The fee’s will cover the portable outhouse rental, Saturday dinner, sling shot ammo, and a small Swag bag.

Any questions concerning event particulars can be emailed to: broncobob@tctwest.net

Any questions concerning registration should be directed to the ExUt staff

If coming up from SLC area, there are two ways to get to the meetup in Basin. One is the southern route. I-80 to Rock Springs, across South Pass (site of the 2019 Relic Run), through Riverton and up the Wind River Canyon to Thermopolis and Worland. The other is the western route, through Yellowstone National Park. My suggestion is to arrive one way and depart the other. The trip from SLC to Relic Run via the southern route is about 7-8hours.

The usual Relic Run general rules will apply.

Dirtstar1

Supporting Member
Supporter
In an effort to help with fuel, I will bring 20 spare gallons to the base camp. This should help range anxiety for those of you with smaller tanks and no fuel storage space. For the rest of you, remember to pack your auxiliary fuel. I did a quick look at the nearest gas stations to the base camp.

33 Miles to Greybull
38 Miles to Ten Sleep
43 Miles to Basin

Make preparations for 250 miles of adventure once you leave Basin WY Conoco.

Hope that helps

Back