UT

Go Back   Expedition Utah > Trip Reports > Southwestern Utah

Notices

Unread 06-29-2010, 03:38 PM
EU Contributor

Default Comb Wash, Arch Canyon, Abajo Mtns and Ruin Park - Spring of '10

The wife and I both had 3 days off over a nice Spring weekend, so we decided to take the opportunity and load up the LX450 with our gear, food and the dog, then head for Bluff, Utah for the beginning of our adventure. I wanted to retrace some of my steps in the trip I took on my motorcycle last Fall, Exploring South-Eastern UT's backroads by motorcycle. I really enjoyed that ride and wanted to share many of those same places with Catherine, so we headed out!

Day 1-

By Noon on Friday we had topped off the tank in Bluff and headed down to US Hwy 163 to the West side of Comb Wash. I still need to see the East side, but we're saving it for a future trip. For now, our destination was up at the end of Arch Canyon to setup camp for the night. The drive up Comb Wash was uneventful, there was a good bit of water in the wash and the traffic on the trail was minimal, just how we like it!

It was an easy drive up to the entrance to Arch Canyon and the many, MANY water crossings. We dropped the Lexus into 4 Low and headed up the canyon, carefully dropping into and out of the stream bed. On the way up the canyon we explored some of the Ruins.

We got to the top of Arch Canyon and started to setup camp. I was working on the tent and bedding, while Catherine went to work on the fire. It was already getting chilly and a warm fire was a must!

It's hard to beat a full tank of fuel and a desire for adventure!

Last edited by Greg; 06-29-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Unread 06-29-2010, 03:39 PM
EU Contributor

Day 2-

The next morning was perfect, crisp air and we had the canyon all to ourselves. We took our time packing camp, just to savor the canyon. We headed back down, weaving between the trees and thru the water. On the way down we stopped to see more of the Ruins that we passed the day before.

After exiting the canyon, we turned North and headed towards the Comb Wash Cave. It was warming up, but we decided to hike up the canyon to the cave. It was well worth the hike, as it was very cool inside.

Last edited by Greg; 06-29-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Unread 06-29-2010, 03:39 PM
EU Contributor

We continued our trip by climbing out of the valley, up a dugway and found an overlook down into Comb Wash.

We jumped back on the pavement for a quick jaunt over to Bears Ears and into the Abajo Mountains. I was a bit surprised at how much snow there still was up there, plus all the standing water. It was pretty neat to be up there and see all the snow melting off.

We dropped out of the Abajo Mountains into Beef Basin, Ruin Park and headed to our campsite by driving down Bobbys Hole hill. We set up camp just outside of the Needles NP border, took a walk down the 2 track road and enjoyed the evening.

Unread 06-29-2010, 03:40 PM
EU Contributor

Day 3-

The next morning we climbed up Bobby's Hole Hill, which wasn't too crazy, but just to make things interesting I locked up both diffs and took the more difficult lines. It was a good time, got one of the front tires off the ground on the way up. We continued the drive out of the canyon and into Ruin Park, where we took the time to explore the ruins, admire their construction and wonder how they have withstood the elements over so many years.

On the way thru Ruin Park we came across a massive Gopher Snake that was warming himself out in the middle of the road. I hopped out for a few pics, then coaxed him out of the way after he made a run for the Lexus.

We finally got back to civilization by way the long drive down Beef Basin road and back onto Hwy 211.

We aired up the tires and headed for Colorado, happy to have been out there, yet also happy to be headed for home after a long weekend in the outdoors!

Here's a link to the photo album from the weekend, if you're so inclined- http://greg-catherine.smugmug.com/Tr...62078154_N34x2

Last edited by Greg; 06-29-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Unread 06-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Trailbait

I love that campsite! Thanks for taking me back.
Unread 06-30-2010, 09:44 AM

Great trip report. Thanks.

Glad to see that LX being used and in good hands!
Unread 06-30-2010, 03:13 PM

Great report Greg.

I've been wanting to head up Arch Canyon for a long time, your report only makes me want to go more.
Unread 06-30-2010, 06:06 PM
EU Contributor

Nice, writeup and photo's.

photo P1030278Stitch640x225_zps31ec9c68.jpg
Unread 07-01-2010, 05:47 PM
EU Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I love that campsite! Thanks for taking me back.
That was the first time we've stayed there, I have been past it a few times before and each time I wanted to stop there, but the timing was wrong. We finally camped there and it was perfect, I really enjoyed the little hideout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason04 View Post
Great trip report. Thanks.

Glad to see that LX being used and in good hands!
Thanks Jason! The LX has been great, it's the perfect combination of driveability, comfort and capability. It has fit my wants and needs quite well, so we're happy with it.

I'm working on a new bumper for the back with dual swing outs, still need to get my winch and lights on the front and build a new bumper there too. It's only getting better!

Hopefully this winter we can take it down to Baja for a couple weeks... that will be a great time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris K View Post
Great report Greg.

I've been wanting to head up Arch Canyon for a long time, your report only makes me want to go more.
Yeah Kris, you really need to make it down there. Arch Canyon is quickly becoming one of my favorite places in Utah, the combination of everything the canyon has to offer makes it hard to beat. Make sure you spend the night at the top, you'll love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttora4runner View Post
Nice, writeup and photo's.
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

Unread 07-11-2010, 08:34 AM

Great post, thank you! We also did many of the same trails this spring too. We were denied however just past the Bears Ears due to snow...