UT

Go Back   Expedition Utah > Trip Reports > Southeastern Utah

Notices

Unread 06-03-2008, 10:07 PM
EU Contributor

Default Beef Basin 5/31-6/1

I headed out Friday afternoon, after finishing up work at the frame shop. I grabed the X-terra from my Dad, finished a few chores, packed and headed west. My digital camera battery stopped working before this trip. "Oh well" I thought, i'll get some batteries for my film. Whell, as luck would have it, I grabed the wrong batteries. Found that out at Newspaper Rock. I proceeded to my small handheld camera(camera #3). Battery was left at home. Somebody wasnt to happy while sitting at Newspaper Rock....

The night before, I made my way to Moab. I sure enjoyed that drive. After missing it this year during Cruise Moab due to a trip to Spain. I had dinner at Moab Brewery, and ran into a club member before leaveing. After driving around Moab for an hour or so looking for a campsite, the town seemed to be more crowded than usual and I continued on south to Monticello, arriving in the town around midnight. I crashed in a hotel that night. Figuing my main objective was the Basin for this trip.

Saturday morning, I filled up on food and gas and headed towards 211 and Dugout Ranch. After my ordeal with the camera, I headed towards Beef Basin in the X-Terra. The road through CottonWood Wash is a easy road, and I managed to keep speeds around 40mph, making up for the stress of the camera. The road climd high, providing good views of the desert below. Also allowing me to send one last text to my step-mom as to where I was.. I dropped into the basin. And a straight sand filled road presented itself before me. What choice did I have? It was a good cure for all the crazyness i've been dealing with lately. My first side road brought me to a small Anazazi Ruin. I continued on excitingly. A short trip brought me to the start of the loop for Beef Basin. And also brought me to Adam, a cowboy working the catle, and worring his other friends. I took lunch at Ruin Canyon. From there, I ran into the rest of Adams group, telling them where he was, and being informed of the Anazazi Tower to the right when the canyon splits. It's here, un-be-knownst to me, that I started an ordeal... Upon leaving Denver, my Dad showed me how to trun on the Personal Locator Beacon. So thats what I did when I left the vehicle at Ruin Canyon. Turned it on. And as it was designed to, started sending a signal to the Air Force. I was having a grand time, hiking in the canyon and checking out the ruin, not even knowing the trouble I was causing.

I continued throught the smaller loop within Beef Basin, and finally turning into Ruin Park. The first side road brought me to a nice campsite, and another ruin. I finally ended the night at a tower within Ruin Park, one of the first you come to from Beef Basin, CR104. Most of the evening I found myself alone, until I returned from an evening walk. Being greated by two San Juan County Deputys. They knew how to pronounce my last name, and that threw me off. Upon further explonation, I found out what happend. Like I said, once turning on the beacon, it started sending out a distress signal. The Air Force recevied it and alearted San Juan County, who then dispatched two Deputys to look for me. But it gets better. San Juan Dispatch called my step mom, who then called the Police in Southeastern Colorado, where my Dad was painting. Ranchers set about trying to find the ranch my Dad was Painting on. So now, we had two countys, in two states looking for the Loughridge Family. I'll be the first to admit, San Juan County is awesome to work with. After all this, they where just happy it ended the way it did, and as the dispatcher told my Dad, "We budget for these kind of things". Now thats a gotcha!

I woke Sunday morning after an awesome night. The morning was a nice and cool. After packing camp, I continued on exploring Ruin Park. Lots and lots of Ruins within sight of the road here. I can only imagine what it's like when you start hiking off the beaten path. Regretfully, I pointed the vehicle back towards civilization, knowing that the 6+ hour drive back to Denver awaited me.

It was a good trip, and am looking forward to October. The 4runner should be ready by then

4th generation Coloradoan, longing for the desert....
87 4runner, Awaiting love at the Cabin in Evergreen.....

Last edited by bh4rnnr; 06-03-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Unread 06-03-2008, 11:23 PM
Moderator & Supporting Member

Too funny
Unread 06-04-2008, 12:19 AM

Ah, I was hoping they sent in helicopters or some Osprey Pretty funny though......don't turn that on again
Unread 06-06-2008, 08:34 PM
EU Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Ah, I was hoping they sent in helicopters or some Osprey Pretty funny though......don't turn that on again
It would be fun to feel like I was in Broken Arrow or something

A good leason learned.... Leave the PLB with somebody else.

4th generation Coloradoan, longing for the desert....
87 4runner, Awaiting love at the Cabin in Evergreen.....
Unread 06-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Moderator & Supporting Member

NIce! Sounds like a good time.. I too expected choppers and such, but still great and i can't wait to get out into that area again. I loved checking out the ruins in that area last fall..

-Jason