Overland Skills Camp 2018

Discussion in 'Central-East' started by moab_cj5, Oct 8, 2018.

1. moab_cj5

moab_cj5 Moderator Staff Member Supporter Contributor Registered

Marketing
    Expedition Utah hosted the 1st Annual Overland Skills camp over the weekend. We had terrific participation from multiple sponsors, organizers, volunteers, and presenters!

We started the event in Price, with a quick drivers meeting and introductions before departing for The Museum of the San Rafael in Castle Dale. The museum is a true gem! I highly recommend visiting it when you are in the area!

From there, we headed into the San Rafael Swell, with the destination of the Wedge Overlook for Lunch. After arriving and taking in the beauty of the area, and filling our bellies with food, we continued around the East loop, meandering through the area taking pictures. We eventually made our way to the Buckhorn Panel, swinging bridge, and Matt Warner signature before heading for camp outside of Sunnyside Utah. When we arrived, we had the best volunteers and staff there to great us and get folks checked in. Huge shout out to Ben (@theferg), Bryson (@bryson) and his wife Tenille (@Tenille) for all their hard work in helping the staff get setup and ready for our arrival.

Friday night we had a pie iron cooking demonstration, and then heard the One and Only Dave Connors (@dmc) give an inspiring message of getting out and exploring!

Saturday morning we had a catered breakfast, with Steve Jackson (@SteveJackson) giving some history of the area. That lead to Scott Howe (@odyseuss ) giving a class on first aid, and going through his kit. I then presented some thoughts on Trip Planning and Navigation, before taking a break for lunch.

At Lunch, Mike Thomas from the Utah DNR stopped by to introduce the Trail Host program. We then turned some time to Ryan Davis (@mistapuggs) for some info on communication devices, and some Ham Radio indoctrination. World Overlander Kurt Williams (@cruiseroutfit) then walked us through a class on building out a vehicle for overland travel, and gave us a tour of his 200 series Land Cruiser.

After Kurt's class, we were very fortunate to have Joel, Brett, Jensen & Chris from the Utah Off-Road Recovery Team come and do some recovery demonstrations and instruction. What a neat experience to get some hands on training!

Saturday night we had a catered dinner from the Miner's Trading post. The food was delicious! We mulled around the campfire, then Stephen Nelson (@Stephen) gave us an introduction to Land Use and Tread Lightly. It was super informative! We then capped the evening off by watching Treasure House, a movie about the mining history in Utah.

Sunday morning, we held a brief wrap up meeting before departing for a guided tour of the Green River Missile Base, and JWP River Museum. The tour guide was very educational and fun to be around!

Pictures will be posted over the coming days and weeks, but if you attended the event, PLEASE add your pictures and experience to this thread so we can all share the memories and good times we had. Here is a link to pictures I took and were shared with me: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1okPshcsmrA6BNnb7

Again a huge thanks to the following:
    Sponsors (alphabetical):
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Equipt Expedition Outfitters
    Klymit
    Land Cruisers Direct
    LuxPro
    Maverik Adventure's First Stop
    Teraflex

Volunteers:
    Ben @theferg
    Bryson @bryson
    Tenille @Tenille

Presenters (in order of appearance):
    Dave @dmc
    Steve @SteveJackson
    Scott @odyseuss
    Dave @moab_cj5
    Mike with Utah DNR
    Ryan @mistapuggs
    Kurt @cruiseroutfit
    Utah Off-Road Recovery Team
    Stephen @Stephen

Staff:
    Bryan @bub
    Dave @moab_cj5
    Jason @SAMI
    Kurt @cruiseroutfit
    Mike @Mike Tyler
    Sal @SallyBananas
    Scott @odyseuss
    Stephen @Stephen
    Steve @SteveJackson

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  2. rionspring

rionspring Supporting Member Supporter Registered

Huge huge thanks to everyone that made this event happen! I think I speak for us all when I say I am glad the weather held out as well as it did.

It's a ton of extra work overlanding with Milo, but we wouldn't change it for the world. He is going to have seen some amazing places by the time he gets old enough to remember them. Thanks again for having us.

Here's a quick few photos and a link to "Flip" almost flopping down the hill. -Rion

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

3. ttora4runner

ttora4runner EU Contributor Contributor Registered

QC Manager
    Wish I could've made it to the event but making a surprise visit home to Arizona to see my mother for her birthday was a little more important.

Looking forward to seeing more photos and details from the event.

4. SteveJackson

SteveJackson Moderator & Supporting Member Staff Member Registered

Thanks to everyone who volunteered and everyone who attended, this was an awesome event! I just have a few pictures to share right now, but more pics will be coming soon. Thanks again to all the sponsors who made this possible!

a1.jpg a2.jpg A3.jpg a4.jpg a5.jpg a6.jpg a7.jpg

bryson, flyjester, Moabjason and 6 others like this.
  5. moab_cj5

moab_cj5 Moderator Staff Member Supporter Contributor Registered

Marketing
    For those that are curious, attached are the slides I put together for the Trip Planning and Navigation presentation.

Attached Files:

6. odyseuss

odyseuss EU Supporting Member Registered

Mechanic
    Here is a video that I made of this event. BIG thanks goes out to those that contributed the additional photo content.

bub, 2005WK, rionspring and 6 others like this.
  7. tonkaman

tonkaman Supporting Member Supporter Contributor Registered

Fire Sprinklers
    Who is rocking the sprinter van? That thing makes me weak in the knees...

cruiseroutfit and moab_cj5 like this.
  8. cruiseroutfit

cruiseroutfit Moderator & Supporting Member Supporter Contributor Registered

Thanks Scott, great video!

moab_cj5 likes this.