5 Mile To Nevada Via The Pony Express Trail & More

Discussion in 'Central-West' started by backroadexploration, Oct 4, 2018.

1. backroadexploration

backroadexploration Member Registered

Marketing
    Home Page:
    Last winter I did a trip out to Notch Peak and the Hermit cave via the west desert. We made it to the canyon where you park to walk up to the cave and ended up helping someone who had gotten stuck and so we never ended up seeing the cave. Since Then I have been dying to get back out there and actually checkout the cave. I decided rather than taking the exact trail I did last time that I would make my way across the Pony Express trail from just outside the 5 mile area all the way to Nevada and then loop back down towards Notch Peak and the Hermit cave.

Jackson my 3 year old, Molly my labrador and I headed out to 5 mile Thursday night to camp and then started making our way to Nevada on Friday. The Pony Express trail is really neat so much history and a bunch of plaques, markers and signs along with reconstructed stations give you a lot to stop and look at.

[​IMG]

We took things slow and stopped to checkout as many of the trail markers as we could.

[​IMG]

Eventually we made our way to the Fish Springs National Wildlife Refuge where we did the driving tour which was actually pretty fun. The entire thing is incredibly beautiful and it was a unique break from the rest of the desert we had been driving in.

[​IMG]

We camped just outside of Ibapah Utah. First thing Saturday we were back on the trail making our way towards Nevada. We went through the Humbolt National forest and eventually made it to Ely Nevada. Finally after a long day on the trail we made it to the Hermit cave and I was completely blown away with how cool it was.

[​IMG]

Here are a couple videos of my trip.

2. Jeeper

Jeeper Member Contributor Registered

Real Estate Stuff
    Hermit cave has been on my to do for a while. Thanks for sharing!

Mike Tyler likes this.
  3. jeepinjeffery

jeepinjeffery Supporting Member Supporter Registered

I run the Pony Express Trail with an Xterra group every year but never really stop to adventure too far from the "trail." Cool to see your pics and vids.

4. cruiseroutfit

cruiseroutfit Moderator & Supporting Member Supporter Contributor Registered

Great stuff! :cool:

5. backroadexploration

backroadexploration Member Registered

Marketing
    Home Page:
    I think it is a trip that is well worth it. Really neat, and a lot of fun desert roads to drive on to get there.

Mike Tyler and 99discovery like this.