Ghost Town: Fort Bridger, Uinta County, Wyoming

cruiseroutfit

Moderator & Supporting Member
Supporter
Site: Fort Bridger
Alternate Names: Fort Supply, Bridger's Trading Post
County, State: Uinta County, Wyoming
Years of Occupation: 1842-1890, private ownership until 1928. State historic site through current.
Status of Site: Open
Classification: Class 5A - Historic Town
Type: Military
Remnants: Dozens or original and restored buildings, museum, historical features and replica of original fort.
GPS Coordinate: 41.3183° N, 110.3895° W
NRHP Reference#: 69000197
Date of Last Visit: 8/25/13

IMG_3032 (Medium).JPG
Historical Marker

Make the trip! Founded by the famous Jim Bridger along with fellow trader Louis Vasquez, Fort Bridger began its illustrious life as a trading post. It would later be purchased from Bridger by the LDS church. In late 1857 the fort was burned by the LDS to slow the movement of the incoming United States Army, moving westward to keep an eye on the 'unruly' Mormons in what would later be known as the Utah War. Discouraged but not deterred, in 1858 the Army rebuilt the fort and officially named it Fort Bridger in honor of Jim Bridger. The Army would eventually build dozens of buildings ranging from Officers homes to barracks and mess halls and the Pony Express utilized the fort adding a stable and office on the now busy site. For over 30 years the for saw on and off activity and additional construction until the Army officially abandoned the fort in 1890. The buildings were sold to private interested, utilized for family residences, hotels, cattle operations and storage. In 1928 the property was sold to the Wyoming Historic Landmark Commission as a historic monument, the site is known designated Fort Bridger State Historic Site.

IMG_3034 (Medium).JPG
Original buildings including Pony Express stable

Plan on several hours to explore the site, more if you really want to read each display and tour all of the buildings. The site offers plenty of parking, picnic areas and nearby camping accommodations. The site is very kid friendly and dogs are welcome on a leash. While many of the buildings have been restored to their original appearance complete with period correct displays of artifacts, there are also non-restored and sites marking buildings no longer standing. Each year Fort Bridger hosts the Annual Fur Trade Rendezvous, attracting several thousand participants and vendors, plan your visit accordingly. For visitor information, hours, etc, visit the Wyoming State Parks website: http://wyoparks.state.wy.us/Site/SiteInfo.aspx?siteID=17

Further Reading:
http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/wy/fortbridger.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Bridger
http://wyoparks.state.wy.us/Site/SiteInfo.aspx?siteID=17

Directions:
From the west (Utah): Travel along Interstate 80 into Wyoming. Take exit 34 and travel approximately 3 miles on I80 Bus E into the town of Fort Bridger (gas, fuel, food, etc are all available), the site is on the west side of the highway well marked with signage and a large bronze statue of Jim Bridger.

Additional Pictures:

IMG_3036 (Medium).JPG
Restored building on site

IMG_3038 (Medium).JPG
Jim Bridger's personal effects

IMG_3050 (Medium).JPG
Reproduction Trading Post

IMG_3051 (Medium).JPG
Reproduction Fort Bridger

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporter
Thanks, I will have to go visit that location.

It is well worth the hour and half drive from SLC, in fact I'm totally amiss that I didn't make the effort sooner. With 3 hours of drive time and a couple hours in the park, it could be a Saturday morning activity for those in the Wasatch Front.

warrpath4x4

we were there for the mountain man rendezvous couple weeks ago, lots of people. we plan to go back again when it wont be so crowded

cruiseroutfit

Supporter
we were there for the mountain man rendezvous couple weeks ago, lots of people. we plan to go back again when it wont be so crowded

I can only imagine the crowds, we nearly had the place to ourselves. Ironically I'd love to make it out there during the Rendezvous to check out the action.

Back