Ghost Town: Green River Missile Base

bub

Moderator & Supporting Member
Staff member
Supporter
Very cool, thanks for sharing. I too would love to hear some of the stories of when this was an active base.

Stephen

Is there no camping allowed on the old base then?
The name Crystal Geyser sounds like it would be a popular place.
Looking on Google Earth it looks like there is someones house and a small orchard about 1.25 miles past eh geyser at the bend in the river. I did notice it is accessable from the base only (at least it seems so).

Darrell

The base is still DoD property (they are planning on razing it soon from what I've read), so I'd venture to guess that legally you are not allowed to camp there. As to whether anyone would notice or care... that's up to you to find out.

flyjester

EU Contributor
OSC Alumni
Last time I was out there I came across someone that had set up camp on the cement foundations where the housing barracks use to be. Whether it was legal or not I have no clue.

ScoutnUSA

Supporting Member
Supporter
Thanks fr all of the replies guys.
I have been looking on Google Earth and there are dozens of roads in the area...Including another Crystal Geyser type formation.

Darrell

ScoutnUSA

Supporting Member
Supporter
I suppose you could camp at the base, I've never tried nor really thought too. There are a dozen sites so it would really depends on where you're thinking. The old housing are south of 70 for example would be a total non issue. I've camped at the Geyser a half dozen times now, visitors come to the geyser but we've been alone otherwise.

I wasn't thinking about camping near any of the old buildings but just with-in a mile or two...away from the main area but just a place to stop over.

Thanks

Darrell

Udink

Swell.
This coming weekend, the Emery County Historical Society is taking a tour of the missile base, meeting in Huntington and Ferron at 9AM, or Green River at 11:00AM, on Saturday, April 28.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...99636548.26929.100001562867243&type=3&theater

For $5/person/year to join, seems like a great deal (I've been a member of the society for several years and they put on some great presentations or go on interesting outings each month of the year).

cruiseroutfit

Supporter
This coming weekend, the Emery County Historical Society is taking a tour of the missile base, meeting in Huntington and Ferron at 9AM, or Green River at 11:00AM, on Saturday, April 28.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...99636548.26929.100001562867243&type=3&theater

For $5/person/year to join, seems like a great deal (I've been a member of the society for several years and they put on some great presentations or go on interesting outings each month of the year).

We'll have to see about setting a similar tour up for ExpeditionUtah!

99discovery

Sightseer
I'd be willing to go again to get more history of the area. I got so much footage and public domain photos from my research, I'm hoping to create a mini-documentary.

Does anyone know anyone in the Maryland area with a 1080p DSLR (preferably 4k, but 1080 will work)? I've actually tracked down two separate DoD 16mm reels of the 100th and 1st launches of the Athena missiles. Included in the footage is interior shots, operational shots, all of the gantry/cover/missile prep footage, launch footage, etc.

pretty much everything every one of us wants to see of this facility just sitting in the national archives. They said they will set the footage up and you are allowed a tripod and camera to film the footage on the projected screen (better than nothing, but a good low-light DSLR should do the trick) and we can have that footage available for everyone.

I just need to figure out how to get a camera to Maryland.... :(.

Stephen

I'd be willing to go again to get more history of the area. I got so much footage and public domain photos from my research, I'm hoping to create a mini-documentary.

Does anyone know anyone in the Maryland area with a 1080p DSLR (preferably 4k, but 1080 will work)? I've actually tracked down two separate DoD 16mm reels of the 100th and 1st launches of the Athena missiles. Included in the footage is interior shots, operational shots, all of the gantry/cover/missile prep footage, launch footage, etc.

pretty much everything every one of us wants to see of this facility just sitting in the national archives. They said they will set the footage up and you are allowed a tripod and camera to film the footage on the projected screen (better than nothing, but a good low-light DSLR should do the trick) and we can have that footage available for everyone.

I just need to figure out how to get a camera to Maryland.... :(.

They won't digitize it for you, for a fee of course? I was helping a professor of mine do research on Okinawa way back in 2006 and the National Archives was willing to digitize some of the footage that he found. But maybe that was because he had a research grant?

99discovery

Sightseer
They won't digitize it for you, for a fee of course? I was helping a professor of mine do research on Okinawa way back in 2006 and the National Archives was willing to digitize some of the footage that he found. But maybe that was because he had a research grant?

I haven't spoke with anyone yet. I was just researching the website. They mentioned that you could get digitization with third party companies. I'm willing to bet that's not cheap. I looked at the going rate for digitizing personal 16mm film (family videos and such) and if I could get a company to digitize the national archives for that amount (I'm not sure I could), I believe it would approach $300 per reel, or about $1k for the entire set.

That was a cursory check though, I'll have to research it a bit more in depth. Obviously, a scan would be preferred.

cruiseroutfit

Supporter
Updates from Jo Anne @ the Museum

Site Map

GRMB_Map (Medium).jpg
(Click to open larger version)

NYCO

go explore...
Supporter
Updates from Jo Anne @ the Museum

Site Map

View attachment 8883
(Click to open larger version)
do you have a map legend talking about the numbered locations on the map? going to head over there thursday afternoon and dropping some waypoints to make identifying locations a little easier on the ground.

edit: nevermind, posts 2-7 helped me identify the unknowns...

Last edited:
Back