Ghost Town: Clifton, Tooele County, Utah

Skylinerider

Moderator & Supporting Member
Site: Clifton
Alternate Names: N/A
County, State: Tooele, Utah
Years of Occupation: 1857 - 1960's
Status of Site: Open but current mining operations are potentially re-opening.
Classification: Class 2 - Neglected Town
Type: Mining
Remnants: Several buildings, ruins & cemetery.
GPS Coordinate: 40.104° N 113.818° W
NRHP Reference#: N/A
Date of Last Visit: N/A

Please include the following body information:

In 1872 a mill and smelter were built at Clifton to handle the ore coming out of the remote Deep Creek mountain range. Shops and stores sprang up around the mill to support the miners. After only a brief time however, the ore pockets were found not be as big as it was thought, and the miners folded up their tents and left Clifton, most likely moving on to Gold Hill.

The shops and smelter closed up, and the small town all but vanished. Occasionally an old prospector would reopen a shaft, but with little or no success.

Today, the town site consists of Oliver Smith’s cabin, an outhouse across the street, and other numerous mines and ruins. There is also a small cemetery with only a single head stone still in place. It belongs to William R. Sheldon, who died on Christmas Day 1889.

Further Reading:
http://www.prospector-utah.com/cliftonutah.htm
http://bonnevillemariner.wordpress....inds-visitors-of-minings-boom-and-bust-times/
http://cliftonmining.com/

Directions to Get There: N/A

Last edited by a moderator:

DAA

Critter Whisperer
Supporter
Just adding a picture.

20140605_Deep%20Creeks_Camping-7W.jpg

- DAA

DAA

Critter Whisperer
Supporter
Strange as it may sound, I only really noticed the ghost town section very recently. I've never really gone out of my way very often to take pictures or otherwise document many ghost towns, but I've sure been to an awful lot of them.

Figure I may as well start backfilling some of this stuff here and there. And maybe make more of a point to take pictures/document in the future.

I have a short list that I have pictures already uploaded from previous trip reports, that I'll be adding as I can get to them.

- DAA

cruiseroutfit

Moderator & Supporting Member
Supporter
Strange as it may sound, I only really noticed the ghost town section very recently. I've never really gone out of my way very often to take pictures or otherwise document many ghost towns, but I've sure been to an awful lot of them.

Figure I may as well start backfilling some of this stuff here and there. And maybe make more of a point to take pictures/document in the future.

I have a short list that I have pictures already uploaded from previous trip reports, that I'll be adding as I can get to them.

- DAA

:cool:

I'd love to see it become a true community project. Someone starts the particular site page and then future visitors add to it.

lordhelmet

Here are a few pics I took May 2009.

Looking toward the east. If I recall correctly I was standing in front of the big cabin.
B Young site to the east (Large).JPG
An abandoned piece of machinery. (not original to this site)
B. Young site to the north (Large).JPG
The largest cabin there.
cabin 3 B. Young site (Large).JPG
Looking at a cellar behind the cabin.
celler cabin 3 (Large).JPG
And looking down into the cellar.
inside celler (Large).JPG

I have been there a couple of times but have never been able to locate the graveyard. Could someone PM me the coords for the grave site? I would love to visit it one time.

Back